Now ...


"It is not uncommon for people to spend their whole life waiting to start living."

Right now I'm reading a book called The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. To some of you this might be old news since it was first published in 2004, and was one of Oprah's book club picks. The crazy thing is I've owned this book for six years and just recently felt compelled to pick it up off of our bookcase and start reading it like a mad woman. It's funny how things work because I'm not so sure I would've gotten as much out of it six years ago as I am now. 

I'm about half-way through the book, but I had to share what I've read because it has been such an amazing read. I've re-read so many sections because of many "aha!" moments (so Oprah). The gist of the book so far focuses on how we all have the ability to experience "Being" (deep states of love, joy, and peace). And how time, other than this very moment, is an illusion. Tolle also describes our conflict with the past (identifying ourselves with past experiences, guilt, regret, etc.) and future (stress, worry, wanting what we don't have, etc.). Other than this precise moment, neither past nor future exists. Isn't that fascinating to think about? It truly is an uplifting read and one that I see myself referencing for some time.

Some of you might think reaching enlightenment or a state of "Being" might be an overwhelming, or even unattainable goal. It's not, but it is a practice. Just like doctors are always practicing medicine. We are always practicing life. Aren't we?

Again, I'm only half-way through this book so I'll be back with a wrap up post once I finish. Can't wait.

Photo: Autumn De Wilde

5 comments:

Tiffany Kadani said...

I love that idea that doctors will always be practicing medicine so we all will be practicing living. Makes me grateful for the time I have to practice.

Anonymous said...

Holly wasn't kidding when she said you had taken a hiatus...last post Sept 14 ??? I'm glad I caught today's post! I'll be sure to check in on the site more often!
Love Chriffs

House of Milk said...

An old psychology teacher once told gave me the best piece of advice:

"Live your life like Frank Sinatra's Strangers in the Night. 'Do, be, do, be, do.' Do all you want, just remember to be."

You'll have to give another review once you finish the book! I've always been tempted to dive in the world of Tolle.

Theresa / InspirationCOOP said...

H, I have this book sitting on my book shelf right now and I haven't started reading it yet! I just kept pushing it aside as I read other things. As soon as I finish The Great Gatsby, you've inspired me to make this book my next read. Gonna do it! xo

torrie said...

so funny... i'm in the same boat... i've had this book for years (maybe even 6?), but have yet to touch it.

in light of my life/attitude/mood lately, i think it's time to pick it up!! i can already tell (based on what you've written) that it will do wonders for my soul :).

Related Posts with Thumbnails